Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Microsoft Word 2007 won't close correctly

I had installed BlackBerry Desktop Software to use my BlackBerry Perl on my Vista HP Tablet PC.  After the install Microsoft Word 2007 would not close correctly.  It kept trying to recover the opened document and then corrupt the document save.

After researching Microsoft's site this fixed the problem.

Note that this is a registry fix so BACKUP before you attempt to make this change!

Start Regedit.
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
Right click on the "Data" folder and delete it.
Close Regedit.

9 comments:

Tim Kemp said...

I had to do a fresh install of Vista this last weekend and Word was exhibiting this problem. This fixed it. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. It worked for me exactly as described. Word 07 stopped responding every time I tried to close it. A reinstall didn't help, but this did.

Andrew Chan ( 陈安) said...

This tip is a great help at a perfect timing as I was experiencing the same thing. It resolved my issue right on.

thanks...

Unknown said...

I am not sure how you found this but it absolutely saved the day...thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Word would not close correctly, or open if I clicked on a file directly (I had to open Word then open the file through Word) and I could not use my mouse to select a position in the file - this fixed all the problems.

Thank you!

James Truxon said...

Thanks Michael!! This solution worked immediately and perfectly!

Unknown said...

Worked great, Thank you very much!

Alex said...

For me ms word are quite important tool,because of there are a lot of doc files on my PC. Several days ago something happened with my doc file and I didn't know what to do next. For luck a friend called me up and told me about many nice tools. I used one of them and was glad,reason of the utility helped him - doc recovery. My trouble was solved very easy and for free as I kept in mind.

Unknown said...

Works for me, Thank you!! :-D